Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thrifted Tuesday....

Yep, on a Thursday, again. Seems that bloggers are quite flippant with the days of the week...


Todays finds?


Four spools of lace weight yarn, in gorgeous warm tones...$1.75 each:


Thrifted Yarn


Not sure what I'll knit from them, but I'm keen to see how the light weight yarn works on the needles....


A little pile of mismatched buttons + a good length of nice and soft light grey wooly flannel that I think will end up as a serious, tweedy-looking Nong....


Thrifted Buttons


Yet another present for my neice, who is getting packages-a-rama in the mail from me lately.....this is just a sneak peek for my sister, before I send it!


gift for my neice


Plus, The Best Teacup In The Whole World:


Thrifted Teacup


It's not in the best condition, which is a damn shame, *but* it's red white and black (my all time favourite colours), comes as a trio, AND it has polka dots. What more could you want?


After trawling around op shops for the afternoon, I had an insatiable craving for cake.....so, for once, I actually made one myself....


Baking!


Despite my love for vintage crockery, I'm not really a kitchen kind of person. I ADORE good food, and love to eat it, but I'm not a very good cook and I don't often spend time in the kitchen. I blame it on my lifestyle: working nights doesn't really lend itself to the whole cooking, sharing and eating thing, it's more of a grab and run affair. Pity.


So it was nice to make a cake for once; this one from a tried and true recipe of my Mum's - a basic teacake that doesn't call for masses of ingredients, and you can throw whatever you have in the cupboard into it, in this case, walnuts and nutmeg:


Walnut + Nutmeg Tea Cake


This be the recipe:


Basic Tea Cake


ingredients:

60g butter, softened,
1 tsp vanilla essence,
2/3 cup caster or fine white sugar (you can actually use any sugar you want)
1 egg
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup milk.


cream the butter and sugar, and add egg, a little at a time, beating in as you go. Gradually stir in the flour and the milk, alternating between them, and beat until fluffy.
grease your cake tin, throw in the mixture, and bake for 30 mins in a moderate oven.

That's the basics, I usually add some cinnamon, top the cake with apple slices and raw sugar, or put half the mixture in the tin, top with custard, then the rest of the mixture, so the custard bakes in the middle....mmmmmmm


Tea and Cake. What could be better?


Cup of the Day


xxxx

5 comments:

Belinda said...

Great finds! I would call that one successful day!!

laura capello said...

your not kidding about the best teacup ever.

kimberlee said...

that is a GREAT tea cup!
and I love to see it in use.

I had the same feeling the other day, "GIVE ME CAKE" so I went home and made myself one. it was much more satisfying that way.

thanks for the recipe. I've copied it down and will give it a whirl.

-kimberlee

shula said...

For a non-kitchen person, GODDAMN, you have some lovely stuff.

Victoria said...

Good stuff. And the new teacup set looks great with the tea and cake. I am the same - not loving cooking meals at all, only do it because I have to keep all these people in m house fed or they annoy me, but becoming OBSESSED with old kitchen things in opshops.